My father is in a transferable job and hence has to move to a new city every three years. This was impacting my studies as the study pattern and teaching methods differ from place to place. Just when I used to get accustomed to the teachers, students and the school environment after great difficulty, we got the news that we had to move to a different city. In order to overcome this problem, my parents decided to enroll me at a hostel.

As I began my hostel life, I took a few weeks to set myself emotionally and adjust to the new environment just as every new student at the hostel does. However, I soon got accustomed to the new place and made quite a few friends. I had been quite shy and reserved before I entered the hostel three year back. I was dependent on my parents for every small need.

However, the hostel life has turned me into a bold and confident person. I can now deal with difficult situations with ease. I do not panic or get emotional easily. I have emerged as a strong person. This may be because living in a hostel teaches us to live independently and we are bound to take charge of our life.

As excited as I am to visit my home, I am equally excited to get back to the hostel as the vacation comes to end. I look forward to meeting my friends and living my life over in that small hostel room. I look forward to the table tennis room where I spend hours setting new records and the hostel ground where I sit with my friends chit chatting about various things. Hostel has become a second home for me.

I have stayed at home and studied at a regular school until fifth standard and am living in the hostel for the last five years. With my experience, I can say that while both hostel life and home life are different and have their own set of pros and cons, hostel life is anytime better as we get a learn a lot from it. It is a great experience and shapes us for good. A student who has lived in a hostel is better prepared to take up various challenges in life.